An elderly aunty classmate brought this to share with the class this week. I tasted tradition! So I stalked her all day to ask for her recipe. She learned this when she was 16 from her grandmother. Now you benefit if you like this dish and are reading this post. Here goes:
300g rice flour
1 Tbs starch (cornflour or potato flour)
50g dried prawns
3 bowls of water
2-3 Tbs oil
Seasoning: 0.5tsp salt, 0.5tsp sugar, 0.25 tsp five spice powder
1. Mix rice flour with 2 bowls of water. Set aside.
2. Cut and steam pumpkin.
3. Heat up oil, fry garlic and shallot till fragrant. Add mushroom and dried prawns.
4. Add seasoning
5. Add pumpkin and mesh
6. Add last bowl of water. Add mixed flour and stir.
7. Pour into tray for steaming.
8. Steam at high heat for 15-20 minutes, then reduce to medium heat.
9. Do toothpick test. If it comes out clear, turn heat off.
10. Let stand for a few hours to allow for it to firm up. Overnight is ok.
11. Heat up again just before serving for 10 minutes.
|No fuss, no frills, just pure tradition served in an aluminium tray.|