Here's the recipe for Thai pineapple fried rice (serves 4):
5 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
150g chicken thighs, deboned and skinless, cut into 1cm cubes
3 cups steamed rice, chilled (overnight rice preferred. Cold rice is less sticky to the wok.)
2 tsp tumeric powder (healthy way to colour the rice)
50g roasted cashew nuts (mine went soft on me today, so make sure you keep it air tight after roasting and cooling)
1 Tbs light soya sauce
1 tsp white pepper
100g pineapple cut into 1/2 cm cubes
2 tsp fish sauce
4 sprigs coriander leaves chopped roughly
1 sprig for garnishing
Pork floss and pineapple shell for serving (optional)
1. Heat up wok and add oil. Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Saute the chopped onions until fragrant and light brown.
2. Add in chicken, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, then saute till chicken is well cooked.
3. Add rice and tumeric powder, reduce to low heat, stir until well mixed. Add cashew nuts and raisins.
4. Season with light soya sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir gently until well mixed.
5. Add pineapples, increase to high heat, stir-fry quickly. Add fish sauce and coriander leaves, stir well for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
6. Transfer to serving plate. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Tip: Use non-stick pan if possible. If you don't have a non-stick, here's what you can do - after heating oil, scramble an egg - this will protect the rice from sticking.
Verdict: Husband and a friend were neutral to it but I personally enjoyed eating it so much I had my whole week of carbo load from just today!