Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Reluctant Photographer

Many times in past years I tried to understand the basics of photography but just don't have half the brain (hmm, a sensitive word these days) needed to absorb, much less apply, concepts of aperture and depth of field. Was it small aperture = less light = shallow depth of field? Throw speed into the mix and you got me. I was happy with the i-diot-Phone proof version that integrates seamlessly into my social media pages and WhatsApp. Admittedly though, I could see my food photos were much inferior to those on the web, and so  rejecting mediocrity, I resolved this afternoon to pick up a thing or 2 so I can make my food look better than they taste. Hello, I'm Extra Virgin Photographer.

Thanks to the husband himself a photo enthusiast (credentials President of Photographic Society in his junior college days, no joke), I listened real intently what he has tried to explain numerous times. I said, Explain to me again veeeeeeerry sssslooooowwwwly.  I immediately applied them to my oxtail stew sitting in the slow cooker. The tails are going to be in there the next 10 hours so I'm in no hurry.

So begins my plate-to-pixel learning journey.

Focus on oxtail 
Focus on potato, I think?
Focus on red juicy tomato
Focus on onion
Focus on carrots

Not too bad? What do you think? See more practice at foodography here.

6 comments:

  1. photography is EVERYTHING...making my mouth water now..i want...STEW!!!!! (see?) LOL
    - annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Annette! Thanks for your comment LOL indeed!

    Cheers
    EVC

    ReplyDelete
  3. never mind the photos... i want some stew!!! - Ranj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ranj! Thanks for checking in here LOL!

    Cheers
    EVC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just shoot on AUTO

    My hubby tried explaining this and that to me, but.......
    one ear in, the other ear out.. can't process, not even a bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Wendy, and your pictures are so stunningly good!! I point and shoot too, but the result is so different. You have to teach me la!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.