Monday, May 21, 2012

Guest Post - You Gotta Luv the Pulled Pork


Introduction by Extra Virgin Chef: Today's post is an unusual one. In the blogosphere, it's known as a Guest Post, where you invite a fellow food blogger to post a recipe on your blog. I got to know Quay Po recently and, charmed by her warmth and sincerity, I decided it would be fun to work on this little assignment with her. I got excited on hearing that she would share about Pulled Pork, a dish I had learned at the Social Enterprise, but now I would learn about it from someone who had tasted it where it originated. Check out the recipe she concocted below and do leave a nice comment if you like it. 


For readers popping over from QPC, a warm welcome! If you're new to this site, check out the Author and her First Anniversary Blog.

Quay Po Writes:
When my blogger friends ask me to do a guest post for them, I am always delighted to do so.  It is a nice feeling to know that you are regarded as a friend and they trust your presence in their space. 


When my Quay Lo (husband) and I returned to the US three years ago for our family reunion, we had lunch in a little café in his hometown that was unforgettable. The dish that stood out was called Pulled Pork. I have been searching for a good recipe to replicate that particular  pulled pork  I had. The meat was extremely flavorful and just melted in my mouth. I could not find one that I thought would yield the same taste that I remember based on the ingredients used. Finally, I thought I would create my own recipe and BINGO!! I nailed the taste as well as the texture and I was SO happy. So here it is, my pulled pork recipe, which I am going to share with you here in Extra Virgin Chef as a guest post.


This is a versatile item to have around. So, make a big batch and deep freeze the balance. On days that you just want a simple but satisfying and hearty lunch or dinner, you can use it to make a scrumptious sandwich or a burger. 



Recipe

 Ingredients:

1 cup garlic spice rub (see recipe below)

1 (2 lbs) boneless pork shoulder 

2 cans of beer

2 Tbsp duck fat

Ingredient for spice rub:

1 head roasted minced garlic

1 Tbsp sea salt

1 Tbsp ground coriander

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp chopped thyme

1 tsp chopped rosemary

1 tbs lemon zest

1 tsp ground black pepper



Combine well all ingredients in a food processor or by hand.

Method:

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
Spread garlic spice rub all over pork. Let it marinate for 1 hour.
Heat duck fat in dutch oven. Sear the pork shoulder till all sides are browned.
Remove pork shoulder and add beer. When the beer is boiling, return the pork shoulder into the dutch oven.
Put the dutch oven in the oven and let the meat braise for 4 hours. Turn the meat after 2 hours.
Transfer braised pork to cutting board and let stand for 15 minutes.  Shred the meat and serve with your favourite steamed or roasted vegetables.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Luan Ee, I came over from Veron's blog and you have a beautiful blog...she is so right, I will linger on longer :) Thanks for the wonderful recipes you shared here and the tips you generously shared with us here. Rest assured will be dropping by more often :)


    Veron...the pictures here of your pulled pork is causing harvoc to me...I AM HUNGRY and lunch is an hour more ! Wa 1 hours sounds a long way man :p thanks to your photography skill I am drooling all over the keyboard !!! I have bookmarked it and will try it out soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, dropping by from Veron's blog. Your blog has such beautiful photos. Will take some time to go through them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had lunch and now I am hungry again. Any idea how to make the roasted minced garlic ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elin, welcome to my blog. Glad to hear you like it. I've just visited yours too. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Baby Sumo, welcome to my blog. You have a cute name there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw one of your recipes featured on AFC facebook page today too.

      Delete
    2. Hi Baby Sumo, I have another one also featured on AFC. It's one of my personal favourites - check it out here http://extravirginchef.blogspot.com/2012/02/best-duck-breast-in-world.html

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, eat when you're hungry!! OK on roasting minced garlic, you can put them in a preheated oven at 180C for about 10 min. Spread them thinly and evenly on a tray and drizzle some olive oil all over. Sometimes, I just heat up a Chinese wok and fry the minced garlic till brown and crispy.

    Another way I roast garlic is cutting a whole head horizontally, add them to the roasting pan when I roast a whole chicken, so they are in there for an hour or more - the kids love them this way. You can catch a picture of the roasted garlic in this post http://extravirginchef.blogspot.com/2011/07/roast-em-and-wrap.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Luan Ee. Just popped over from QPC. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Quay Po and her guest posting for me. Isn't she the sweetest? Don't mind me while I poke around your blog for a bit :)
    Veronica, great job on this. I'm saving this recipe ... love the use of beer in it. I've tried some other versions using cola and all my teeth nearly fell out ... too sickly sweet. I like the sound of the ingredients you've used. Thank goodness for you, I've very nearly given up on pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ping, yes, QPC is definitely a sweetie with a big heart, and I'm also glad to hear from you that the person is sweeter than the recipe. (My teenage daughter thinks my intended pun here is lame but at this age, I'm so entitled to it, don't you think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Ya, I love being an aunty. I'm allowed to be lame without seeming lame ... Howz that for lame? :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Luan, I just visited Quay Po & got to know you, well, in fact this is the 2nd time I heard her mentioned about but my 1st visit here. I'll promise to come back again later becoz I have to put my daughter to sleep now & it's 11pm, if I can't do it today, i'll do it tomorrow! Good night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie. Yes, the princess always takes priority! Thanks for coming back.

      Delete
  10. I can say that this is a all-men fav dish! She always surprised us with her great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came over from QP's site. Great guest post and nice recipe. Great to know you too, Luan Ee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, Ann. So delighted to make another new friend!

      Delete
  12. hi luan, just hopped over from quay po's blog. Nice knowing you. I just had a quick read 'about you', you got a good sense of humour and i like your word of the week too. Will be dropping by here in future to see what've you been up to in your kitchen and at the same time, learning too.

    quay po!! this is a little cruel to me, you know! i'm on empty stomach now and this makes my hungry stomach growls even louder now!! I'm really impressed looking at your pulled pork..how i wish i could have some of that to go into my tortilla later. This sounds so flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, I'm delighted to meet you too! I like that you like Word of the Week. Cool!

      Delete
  13. Hi Luan Ee, first time here, and already liking it, I was drooling at the pull pork photo over at guaypo's and can't help coming over to drool more:D following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, Jeannie. A warm, pulled-pork welcome to you! Happy to hear you like what you see so far!

      Delete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.