Thursday, May 3, 2012

Da Paolo, you have mushroom for improvement.


Hubster got a sudden urge to buy this stuffed portobello from Da Paolo Gastronomia. You wouldn't believe how much he paid for this - S$22 for 2! I had to count to 10 under my breath before I calmly asked, What's in the stuffing, dear? He didn't know. What?? 

I couldn't tell much other than some shitake, cheese topping and chopped herbs?? There must be something special in it. Foie gras? Truffle cream? Caviar? 


I cut into it and wahla - nothing else other than some limp vegetable that looks like celery that looks like onion! How do these bistros look customers in the eye for such daylight robbery practices? 


No fancy packaging, it came in a cheapo plastico. I couldn't find fault with the taste but I couldn't enjoy it when I feel we've been ripped.


Da Paolo, you have mushroom for improvement.

Do you agree bistros these days are way overcharging or do you think you get good value for money from most of them?


6 comments:

  1. Hi visiting over from Quay Po's site. $22 for 2 of these mushroom is superb pricy...Probably RM50 at my side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hello there! You are most welcome to snoop around my site. I will visit yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. singapore is no longer cheap or even reasonable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I suppose that comes with progress, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Luan Ee-thank you for following my blog. I would love to follow yours, as well but you don't have a follow option...so I will follow you on twitter, and will look you up on facebook, as well!
    These mushrooms are quite pricy! I would not have spent $22.00 American dollars on this appetizer dish. I'm sure it could be made better at home:DDD
    Wishing you the best of luck, in your new career:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elisabeth, I must have accidentally deleted that button some time back - no wonder I was not seeing new sign-ons! Thanks for the alert, it's now been fixed! I'm also on facebook here www.facebook.com/extravirginchef. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.