Friday, May 11, 2012

Home-baked Oats and Honey Granola, reduced sugar of course


I tidied up my pantry and found many small packages of leftover nuts, seeds and dried fruits. I decided to do my own granola at home based on what I've seen my pastry chef do at the social enterprise. Call this the recipe to clear snack scraps.

Ingredients:
- 1 cup Rolled Oats (higher fibre and less processed than quick cooking oats)
- 1/2 cup Raisins and Cranberries
- Handful of leftover almonds, walnuts, pecan nuts, brazilian nuts, figs, apricots, dates (no quantity, just scraps to clear)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (choose this over the sweetened version)
- 2-3 Tbsp Manuka Honey or any good quality pure honey (more if you like it sweeter)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar (very little compared to store-bought granola)
- Some leftover buckwheat crackers that had already gone soft in the fridge
- And..and..and....Sticks and Twigs!


I used a very simple method - just mix everything together and bake in the oven at 200C for 12-15 minutes, depending on oven performance and personal taste. Like all first loves, there's a beautiful tinge of sweet-bitterness if you get it ever so slightly, just a tad burnt.

Here's the before and after look.


How gloriously resurrected are the soft nuts and limp crackers.


Yes, use baking paper so they don't stick to your tray.


Expect clumps and clusters when the brown sugar and honey caramelise beautifully with these wholesome ingredients. Allow to cool completely before serving with plain yoghurt or milk, topped with your favourite fruit. You can also sterilise a bottle and store them airtight. They should keep for weeks. Or they could finish in one afternoon!

Remember these rascals below? Yes, they found their purpose in life. Now, they give off a beautiful crunch in the teeth and taste absolutely divine!




This combo meal of 10 different nuts, seeds and fruits gave off a wonderful aroma when I pulled open the oven door. I particularly enjoy the crunch of every bite, and the occasional cranberry or raisin gave me temporary respite whenever my soft palate needed it.

It brought great cheer to me on a dull and gloomy morning, you know, one of those mornings when you wake up and wonder WHO AM I AND WHAT THE HEAVEN AM I DOING?? It made my day to know I've cleared out all the annoying small leftover packages. Yes, the small joys in my life now.

And now, to stock up on fresh inventory - I'm thinking pine nuts, hazel nuts and some Middle Eastern figs. Speaking of Middle Eastern, did you know it's Independence Day for Israel this week, 15 May?



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. I was just thinking of what to do with the big tub of oats at home.

    ~ CK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CK, I see you registered an account so you can drop your comments here - how I appreciate that! Now if only you would blog about the great work you do at your Centre!

    Tell me about your granola when you get a chance at this.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.