Sunday, May 27, 2012

Braised Purple Cabbage - No word in English rhymes with purple



I read on the internet that no word in English rhymes with purple. How can that be true? I had thought every word had its corresponding rhyming word/s. Circle? Riddle? Cradle? Title?

In the context of food, purple food is a good thing. The purple cabbage is a highly nutritious vegetable, full of Vitamins C and A. It can be eaten raw or added to a coleslaw - did I just form a culinary rhyme?

Here's another easy peasy recipe for you to try as a side dish. This 5-minute quick braise is one easy way to cook the cabbage if you don't like it raw.

Recipe adapted from Food Wishes


Ingredient (serves 2-3 as a side dish)
- 2 Tbsp duck fat or olive oil or butter
- Half a cabbage head
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar (optional, and only if you like a tangy taste)
- 1 Tbsp honey or a handful of raisins, if you like it sweet (healthier replacement to sugar)
- 1 cup of stock or water
- Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. In a heated pan, add oil, then add shredded cabbage. Stir till cabbage is slightly soft.
2. Add liquids and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
3. Add raisins or honey if you like a sweeter taste.
4. Add salt and pepper, taste and adjust.
5. Cook till it reaches the softness you like. Done.

Cut a V-shape to remove the core
Slice into ribbons. Size is not important, just make sure they
are of the same size so they cook evenly
Don't they look pretty?
I used duck fat, but you can use butter or olive oil
Raisin is a healthier replacement to sugar
Colour turns darker when cooked


6 comments:

  1. Long time I didn't cook red cabbage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I usually take it raw but cooking it adds some variety.

      Delete
  2. Luan, how about simple to rhyme with purple for this dish? I was wondering too. I also eat my purple cabbage raw. Never cooked it before. I've tried braised cabbage in a restaurant but it did not impress me. Perhaps they didn't do it right. BTW this duck fat, can you buy it or you have to buy a duck and extract yourself ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that would be another one. I suppose generally there's nothing fancy about braised cabbage except that it's good for you? My mom usually stir fries ribboned Chinese cabbage with beaten eggs.

      On duck fat, you can buy them but they are rather expensive or you can render the fat when you cook the duck in different ways. Check out my duck posts here http://extravirginchef.blogspot.com/2012/02/best-duck-breast-in-world.html

      Delete
  3. I love braised cabbage, my son cooked it for me but he's now working so not free to cook anymore. Now I can cook it myself with this simple recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! Was admiring your Happy Bread the other day. You are blessed to have a son cook for you.

      Delete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.