Friday, May 25, 2012

Home-cured Gravlax (Smoked Salmon) on a Toasted Baguette


Curing salmon at home is now a monthly affair for me - I just can't get enough of this wonderful creation called gravlax. Today, I cubed it and served on a toasted baguette with creamy scrambled eggs and sprinkled fresh chopped dill all over. Cubed ones seem to taste much better than the usual strips that twirl into a flower.

This was how I cured it at home with no special tools whatsoever. A reputed cookbook that I had read cautioned that smoking salmon should be left only to professional chefs. What the heaven. Tell me, how elitist can you get and still breathe.


6 comments:

  1. Luan, this is wonderful. I love smoked salmon but it is so expensive. May I know, for how many days can the smoked salmon be stored in the fridge ? (Not that it will last long :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phong Hong, you can do it at home for a fraction of the cost at the stores. Preparation takes 2-3 days, thereafter, you can keep it for a week and they'll still be fine, but in the many times I've done it, they usually don't last 2 days cos we would have gobbled them all up in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAh... now I know how to make use of my smoked salmon. Thanks for sharing the preparation of smoked salmon at home Luan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I've prepared it in a different way before too - avocado mash on buckwheat crackers topped with black olives, picture here http://extravirginchef.blogspot.com/2012/03/word-of-week-canape.html

      Delete
  4. your salmon cube is really thick there! :) lovely!

    -FiSh
    @ ohfishiee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FiSh. ohFISHiee, they seem to taste better when cubed, strangely so. Each cube is bite-sized, and each bite comes with a cube. Yum!

      Delete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.