Thursday, July 28, 2011

A glimpse of Jewish cuisine & culture



This morning, my friend showed me his cooking books from home - they all look so very interesting so I've borrowed them for the weekend. You can't get any of these food in Singapore at all, nothing quite near as authentic. 'Gordon' said there is a market for a truly authentic Jewish/Lebanese food and cultural experience. Here are some pages for you, sorry for bad photography:


A sweet-smelling bread and the ultimate symbol of Shabbat.
Kindergarten kids knead and braid miniature challahs
on Friday mornings to welcome the Shabbat.


...where God gave the 10 Commandments.

Kosher also means the separation of meat and dairy.
I did not know of this before. It is a custom to wait for
up to 6 hours after eating meat before eating dishes that
contain milk. There goes our curry chicken.


Hanging out with Elli everyday has made me more and more curious about Israel. In the past week, I've read a chocolate recipe in Hebrew and today, I read a Hebrew proverb that says, roughly translated, Let food be your medicine. Don't let medicine become your food. Elli also told me about Rachel Naomi Remen, author of Kitchen Table Wisdom, and who believes doctors should be not just mere technicians of the physical body but also alchemists of our souls.  

I have not been to Israel since 2002 but now I so want to do a food tour there! Anybody interested to join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.