Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Word of the Week: Farfalle


Farfalle, a type of pasta, originated from northern Italy as far back as the 16th Century. Also known as "bow-tie" pasta, Farfalle in fact means "butterflies" in Italian. Though suitable for all kinds of sauces, Farfalle is best for cream and tomato based sauces.

I bought this pack in a little shop in Florence, the same place where I got my truffle oil. Did you see my post on all that shopping I did for my kitchen? The shopkeeper, always proud of her own products, told me the colours come from the base ingredients used to make these pasta. So, for instance, the red is from beetroot, yellow from turmeric, and green from spinach. The most interesting has to be the black - it comes from squid ink. How cool is that.

Zero preservatives, addictives, MSG, flavour enhancers… and what have you.

I will let you know about the taste when I make these for the family one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.