Friday, January 6, 2012

Europe pig-out 6 - where the world's most famous Christmas market is


Germany is the best place in the world to go to a Christmas market and Nuremberg, where we are today, has the most famous Christmas market in Germany. An open-air market, the Christkindlesmarkt attracts some 2 million visitors each year. Here are some sights and scenes to share.

World's most famous Christmas market, started in the 17th Century and shows no signs of slowing down.
We sipped mulled wine in Bavarian porcelain mugs on the streets and watched the world go by in sub-zero temperatures. Mulled wine or gluhwein is red wine heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods, cloves, star anise and sugar, with a shot of rum or liquer added. So basically, sugar and spice and everything nice, and it soon became our daily beverage.



It was when I saw this scene that I felt our attempt to brave the wind and the snow and the long drive to Nuremburg is well worth it. Nuremberg is located along the Rhine-Main-Danube canal and is medieval and a sight to behold. Adolf Hitler chose Nuremberg as the venue for his Nazi party rallies.



The Imperial Palace stands majestically behind us.
Wait a minute, is that Steve Irwin?? 
This was another delightful surprise as we walked the market - a traditional, all-men choir singing with true grit and gusto. I didn't understand a word and yet loved every word they sang. Love is universal and beyond language. And they brought Christmas right into my heart at that moment.

Now, this one I have to tell you was crazy yummy! I don't even know what it is since everything is in German. It tasted like some mini beef steak and comes with a small loaf. The kids swarmed to it like bees to honey. It was the most tender piece of meat I'd ever sunk my teeth into. Of course we went back for more, and again and again. You get back one euro when you return the blue plastic. You can see customers flooding the stall. Wish I could get behind that counter and discover the secret ingredient!



I love Munich and I love Nuremberg and I love my parents and kids and ok, ok, get a hold of myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.