Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Word of the Week: al dente


Al dente is an Italian expression that refers to the state of cooked pasta as "firm but not hard". Pasta that is cooked al dente has a lower glycemic index (GI) than pasta that is cooked soft. This means the pasta will break down more slowly, releasing glucose more gradually into the bloodstream. 

I have tried to do pasta on both extremes, just before al dente and way overcooked till limp. Overcooked pasta tastes like Chinese noodles! Our family of 5 all have varying thresholds of "al dente-ness" so I cook pasta whichever way I like which is usually a minute more after al dente, and somehow, someone will be pleased with it. I can't please them all, but I can please myself!


Click here to read more Word of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.