Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Word of the Week: Mirepoix

According to my research, this term mirepoix
dates back to the 18th century!
Even though school is over (at least for now), I intend to continue with the weekly Word of the Week learning process that I have been used to for the past 8 Wednesdays. So far, the words I have shared with you are:


Today's word is Mirepoix. Pronounced meer-pwah, it simply means a combination of onions, carrots and salary celery (sorry, a Freudian slip there). Is there a plural to celery? Celeries?

This holy trinity combi is the flavour base for a wide number of dishes such as stocks, stews, soups and sauces. This picture is dated almost a year ago. I had instinctively used these 3 ingredients together without realising there is a culinary term that bundles them. How interesting.

See my picture of a mirepoix + leek here. Yes, photography skills improving!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.