Saturday, November 12, 2011

An ingredient worth its salt.



Ever since Eli introduced me to Atlantic sea salt, I got more and more curious about this ingredient. The bible calls us "salt of the earth". I also saw this in Colossians 4:6 - "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer everyone." So there's truth in the saying, You are what you eat. 

Look at the different kinds of salt I bought recently.

This tastes great when I sprinkle over a salad or just as a bread dip in extra virgin olive oil.

Now, isn't this pretty in pink?
See how coarse each grain is.

I am going to use this pretty thing to cure a piece of pork belly I have and experiment with a home-made pancetta

Salt is also a critical ingredient when you cure salmon. The science of it is totally fascinating - as the salt extracts water from the salmon, bacteria is deprived of a conducive environment to breed. There is more to it than meets the eye when the bible tells us to be the salt of this earth. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I want to know.