Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nonya Kueh- Seri Muka


A kueh I've bought and eaten countless times, but somehow this time, I wonder what goes into it and how it's assembled. My curiosity is aroused and my culinary sense awakened. I decided to google and youtube (yes, that's also a verb) it. Soon, I had all my ingredients prepared. I was ready to venture back into the kitchen with my newfound knowledge and confidence gained through wading through the web.  Below are some of my pictures to share this process.


Steamed glutinous rice with coconut milk. Throw some 
pandan leaves on top to give that added aroma!
This needs low steam otherwise you get pot marks 
on the surface like mine here LOL
I am quite proud of this attempt and encouraged to try other recipes now. 
Bye bye, Bengawan Solo, I don't really need you that much now. 
OK somewhat rough on the edges but pretty good first attempt, and taste was lemak too. 








Recipe 


(A)
  • 300gm glutinous rice
  • 50ml coconut milk
  • 200ml water
  • 1 tsp salt


(B)
  • 150ml eggs
  • 150ml coconut milk
  • 150ml pandan juice
  • 180gm sugar
  • 15gm cornstarch
  • 30gm all purpose flour
Method:
1. Soak rice for at least 2 hours. Drain water (into one of your potted plants!). Put rice into a baking pan suitable for steaming. Mix it with coconut milk and salt. Add in water. Make sure the water is abt 3mm above the rice but not higher than 1cm. (How one does that beats me!)
2. Steam rice on high heat for 20-30 minutes until rice turns translucent. Remove from heat and immediately fluff rice with a fork or chopstick. Place rice into a 8" round pan or 7" square pan. Level and press rice to compact it. Do this while the rice is still hot. Return compacted rice in pan to steamer and steam until custard is ready
3. Mix all the ingredients in (B) and cook in a heavy saucepan on low heat, stirring slowly all the time to ensure it doesn’t burn until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Pour (3) over compacted rice and steam on medium low heat for 25 minutes. 
Afternote: Just came back here to attribute this to Wendy's blog. Thanks, Wendy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luan,
    Tried your Seri Muka recipe today, somehow the pandan mixture could not stick to the rice. What happened? Appreciate your advise please. Thank You. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, great to hear you're trying this. Describe your process to me in detail and I'll try to diagnose what the problem is, or send me pix if you have. Exactly what happened to your pandan mixture when you poured it into the rice layer? At which stage did you start to have difficulty? How was the taste? Whatever it is, keep trying and dont give up! And thanks for the question!

    Best
    EVC

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I want to know.